There are divisions within the Fire Department of the EMERCOM of Russia that perform the tasks of ensuring the fire safety of special facilities, which include nuclear power plants, institutions and enterprises involved in the development and testing of weapons, ammunition, chemical industry enterprises, individual cultural heritage sites and other especially important and regime objects.
These units are united in the Special Fire Department of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Russian Federation, and they have been leading their history since 1947. That year, on the basis of a decision of the Government, on October 9, an Order of the Ministry of Internal Affairs was issued on the establishment of a special department as part of the Fire Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the USSR. The task of the department was to organize and manage the divisions included in it to create a fire safety system at sensitive facilities.
Thus, the history of the Special Fire Service of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Russian Federation dates back to October 9, 1947 and is inextricably linked with the creation of the "nuclear shield" of the Soviet state.