( August 30 ) September 10, 1721 Peter I, after a long and exhausting war with the Swedes, concluded the Nishtad peace.
It was decided to consecrate this day by transferring the relics of the faithful Prince Alexander Nevsky from Vladimir to the new, northern capital, Petersburg, based on the banks of the Neva.
The holy relics removed from Vladimir in August 1723 were brought to Schlisselburg and remained there until 1724, when on August 30 ( in the old style ) were installed in the Trinity Cathedral of Alexander Nevsky Lavra, where they rest now. And by decree of September 2, 1724, a festival was established on August 30 ( in the old style ).
The name of the defender of the borders of Russia and the patron saint of warriors is known far beyond the borders of the country. Holy missus Alexander Nevsky ( in the schima Alexy ) died on the way from Horde to Gorodets, on the Volga, November 14 ( according to the old style ) 1263 and a few days later he was buried in the cathedral church of the Nativity Monastery of Vladimir ( now a monument to the holy prince was erected there; another monument is erected in the city of Pereslavl-Zalessky ).
The veneration of the faithful prince began immediately after his burial. The incorrupt relics of the faithful prince were discovered, by vision, before the Battle of Kulikovo in 1380, and then a local celebration was established. The prayers of the holy prince, glorified by the defense of the Fatherland, were resorted to by Russian commanders in all subsequent times.
Today, the Day of the Reservation of the relics of the faithful Prince Alexander Nevsky is celebrated by the Russian Orthodox Church in a new style on September 12.
Numerous temples outside of Russia are dedicated to St. Alexander Nevsky. The most famous of them are: the Patriarchal Cathedral in Sofia, the cathedral in Tallinn, the temple in Tbilisi. These temples — are the key to the friendship of the Russian people-liberator with fraternal peoples.