Celebrating in honor of finding relics and the second glorification of the faithful Grand Duchess Anna Kashinskaya (25/06)

The Holy Blessed Princess Anna Kashinskaya, daughter of the Rostov Prince Dimitri Borisovich, in 1294 became the wife of the Holy Blessed Grand Duke Mikhail Yaroslavich of Tver.

After the painful death of her husband, Anna retired to the Tver Sophia Monastery and took tonsure with the name Euphrosyne. At the request of her son, Prince Vasily Mikhailovich of Kashin, she moved to live in the Assumption Monastery of Kashin, where she took the schema with her former name Anna.

Saint Anna had, besides Basil, three more sons: Demetrius and Alexander, who repeated the feat of confession of their father, and Constantine. Dimitri Mikhailovich (Terrible Eyes) was killed in the Horde in September 1325, and Alexander Mikhailovich, Prince of Tver, together with his son Theodore, in 1339. The venerable one died in the autumn of 1338 and was buried in the Dormition Kashinsky Monastery.

Miracles at the tomb of St. Anna began in 1611, during the siege of Kashin by Lithuanian troops. The Holy Princess appeared to Gerasim, the sexton of the Dormition Cathedral, and said that she was praying to the Savior and the Most Holy Theotokos for the deliverance of the city from foreigners.

At the council of 1649, it was decided to open her relics for general veneration and to rank the Blessed Princess Anna among the saints of the Russian Church. But in 1677, Patriarch Joachim raised the question at the Moscow Council about the abolition of her veneration in connection with the aggravation of the Old Believer schism, using the name of Anna Kashinskaya for their own purposes. In 1909, on June 25, her second glorification took place and a widespread celebration was established.