Celebration in honor of the appearance of the icon of the Mother of God «Play of the Child» (20/11)

Icon of the Mother of God «Play of the Child» appeared on November 7 (old style) 1795, eighteen versts from Moscow, at the village of Gremyacheva, in the ancient Nikolo-Ugreshsky Monastery, founded by Dimitri Donskoy in honor of the victory on the Kulikovo Field in 1380, at the site of the discovery of another icon — of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker.

According to the traditions of the Russian Orthodox Church, the celebration in honor of the icon according to the new style takes place on November 20.

«Play» — Russian icon of ancient writing, painted from the Greek model. In the Byzantine Empire, this image was revered as an ancient miraculous shrine. Icons of the Mother of God of the same name are available in the Moscow Novodevichy Convent and in the Vatopedi monastery on Mount Athos.

The Mother of God in this icon is depicted with the Infant of God sitting on Her hands, clinging His cheek to Her cheek.

Icon of the Mother of God «Playing the Baby» – is one of the most beloved icons in Rus. Since ancient times, it was believed that she was responsible for the completeness of motherhood, so women who wanted to have children prayed in front of this icon.

Also in Orthodox Christianity, it was customary to serve a prayer service with the akathists of the Mother of God before childbirth in honor of Her icons «Play of the Child» and «In childbirth, assistant».

372