Celebration in honor of the discovery of relics and the second glorification of the blessed Grand Duchess Anna Kashinskaya (25/06)

The Holy Blessed Princess Anna Kashinskaya, daughter of the Rostov prince Dimitri Borisovich, in 1294 became the wife of the Holy Blessed Grand Duke Mikhail Yaroslavich of Tver.

After the painful death of her husband, Anna retired to the Tver Sophia Monastery and took monastic vows with the name Euphrosyne. At the request of her son, Prince Vasily Mikhailovich of Kashin, she transferred to live in the Kashinsky Assumption Monastery, where she accepted the schema with her former name Anna.

Saint Anne had, in addition to Basil, three more sons: Demetrius and Alexander, who repeated the confessional feat of their father, and Constantine. Dimitri Mikhailovich (Terrible Eyes) was killed in the Horde in September 1325, and Alexander Mikhailovich, Prince of Tver, along with his son Theodore — in 1339. The monk died in the fall of 1338 and was buried in the Assumption Kashinsky Monastery.

Miracles at the tomb of St. Anne began in 1611, during the siege of Kashin by Lithuanian troops. The holy princess appeared to the sexton of the Assumption Cathedral, Gerasim, and said that she was praying to the Savior and the Blessed Virgin Mary to deliver the city from foreigners.

At the council of 1649, it was decided to open her relics to universal veneration and canonize the blessed Princess Anna as a saint of the Russian Church. But in 1677, Patriarch Joachim raised the question at the Moscow Council about the abolition of her veneration in connection with the aggravation of the Old Believer schism, which uses the name Anna Kashinskaya for its own purposes. In 1909, on June 25, its secondary glorification took place and a widespread celebration was established.

706